Call for volunteers in Turkmenistan / Приглашение волонтеров в Туркменистан

why you have not topic : Call for volunteers in Iran

Hi :D

I guess they do not need a volunteer from Iran yet?

I've tested geph on Turkmentelecom ISP. It doesn't work.

1. Login and registration system does not work due to the fact that geph tries to resolve domains using public DNS resolvers (8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9 and others). This does not work in Turkmenistan: UDP destination port 53 is blocked there, that's why no public resolver on standard port would work. Additionally, all well-known public resolvers are blocked by IP.
  2. If DNS issue is fixed, geph fails to connect to any server, regardless of bridge or tcp-only options. Some TLS sessions are successfully established, but that's probably only signalling server.

geph_dnsissue.pcapng (8.0 КБ)
geph_afterlogin_8.8.8.8works.pcapng (429.2 КБ)

1 个赞

Just for the information, about 30-40% of the Internet is blocked in Turkmenistan and proxies/VPNs are most probably detected and blocked manually. Sometimes it's a matter of a single day when the IP gets blocked.

1 个赞

This is a major advantage actually ;)

manual blocking of proxies etc is common in China too, and Geph is designed to withstand these attacks (in fact it regularly withstands mass, automated attacks where bots use Geph accounts to obtain bridges and blocks them).

the problem here seems rather to be that vast IP ranges from AWS, etc, are already blocked, so new Geph bridges are blocked even before they are started, lol. furthermore, because there's no quick and reliable way of detecting whether a server is blocked in turkmenistan, it's hard to automate the anti-blocking countermeasures.

do you know of a good VPS provider, with an automated API, whose IPs are largely not blocked in Turkmenistan? Most Linode, AWS, and Vultr IPs I've tried are already blocked by Turkmenistan.

also, is there a good way of testing whether an IP is blocked in turkmenistan? like some sort of looking glass? would it be possible to set up a VPS in turkmenistan?

This is very good to know, and will be something that we'll fix in the future.

1 个赞

I don't, but Psiphon's servers fronted via Fastly and Akamai generally work fine

Yes, but CDN-based domain fronting is slow and expensive to run. Geph uses domain fronting only for signalling at the moment.

Thanks! Though I don't see a way to buy it? When I click the login thing on top it fails to load the page. Would it be possible to pay you somehow to rent a VPS in Turkmenistan, for the sole purpose of connectivity testing?

As far as I know, Fastly is to some extent.

You probably need to contact the sales.

I'm not from Turkmenistan, however, I have an access to links there. You could ask people from Turkmenistan in this topic, maybe someone willing to share the access with you. Teamviewer is known to work.

1 个赞